Women’s studies is now an established subject of research and has been the outcome of the realization that woman had for long been marginalized not only at the social, political and economic level but also in academic considerations and needed to be given a rightful place in developmental analysis. The Centre for Women’s Studies and Development, H.P. University, Shimla had been established under U.G.C. scheme for IX Plan on July 2001. The Centre has ventured into many activities but the main theme is development of women through meaningful action, research and outreach programmes to build an enabling environment for women in Himachal Pradesh. Centre is presently working in Phase II.
Established : July, 2001
Research Associate : Seema Thakur
Research Associate : Anju Devi.
Phase Assigned : Phase II
Vision To work for ensuring safety ,security,dignity & equality of women by conducting Research &organizing Conferences, Workshops, Colloquium, Gender Sensitization & capacity building programmes .Collaborating with Organizations,institutions to work in the direction of women empowerment.
- To sensitize and inculcate academic interests towards gender issues in curriculum in science, social science and humanities.
- To undertake research activities on issues primarily pertaining to women including those related to health education, economic deprivation, political and general social status.
- Suggesting measures to correct social imbalances in the process of change, recognition of human rights, attitudinal and cultural improvements besides the need for women’s empowerment for equality and effective contribution in all areas of development.
- Dissemination of knowledge through publication and extension.
Research & Documentation
Organizing Workshops,Seminars & colloquium,Gender Sensitization Workshops.
Implementation of Saksham guidelines & Gender champions Schemes of University Grants Commission
Activities Organized relating to women issues (March 2013-March 2016)
1 Organized National Seminar cum Colloquium on Theme “Gender agenda :
Gaining momentum “ on 8th March 2-013 at Himachal Pradesh University.
2 Organized Seminar on Consumer awareness on 15th March 2013 in
collaboration with Himachal upbhogta Sarankshan Parishad at Bhachat Bhawan.
3) Organized Seminar on Child Sexual abuse resiliency and prevention, on 11th
May 2013 at Himachal Pradesh University..
4) Organized colloquium on Theme “ Status of Women in Himachal Pradesh” on
16-9-2013 in Himachal Pradesh University.
5) Organized Seminar on Theme “ Human Rights, Values & Education “ On 10-
12-2013 in law conference Hall of HPU .
6) Organized Health camp for girls of Himachal Pradesh University on 6-3-2014 at
Rani Laxmi Bai Girls Hostel .
7) Organized Health camp cum voters campaign on 30-3-2013 at Phase three
New shimla .
8) Organized Health camp & Bone density test for women of Himachal Pradesh
University on 30-4-2014.
9) Organized campaign against Sexual Harassment at D. A. V. College ,Kothkhai
on September 2014.
10 ) Organized Seminar on consumer awareness in collaboration with Department
Food civil supply & consumer affairs & Himachal Upbhogta Sarankshan Parishad
at HIPA on 24 December 2014.
11 ) Organized Gender Sensitization campaign in Himchal Pradesh university on
12) Organized self defence Training camp for Girls of Himachal Pradesh
University from 1-3-2015 to 4-3-2015.
13 ) Organized Two days National Seminar on Women safety & Security : issues & concerns on 4th March & 5th March 2015.
14.Gender champions sensitization workshop was organized in Department of Public Administration on 14-9- 2015
15.Centre for women studies and development Himachal Pradesh University in collaboration with Nehru Yuva Kendra Shimla organized one day workshop on theme Gender equality issues and challenges on 30th November 2015 in Law conference hall
16.Self Defence training camp was organized for Girls of Himachal Pradesh University from 1 st March 2016 to 8th March 2016 at Rani Laxmi Bai Girls auditorium of Himachal Pradesh University.
17.Essay competition & Debate competition on women related topics was organisd for students of Himachal Pradesh University on 5th March 2016 in Himachal Pradesh University auditorium.
18.Gender sensitization programme was organized for students of Himachal Pradesh University on 5th March 2016.
19.Bone density test was organized for Teaching & non teaching staff of Himachal Pradesh University on 8th March 2016 in Vice Chancellor Committee Room.
20.Gender Sensitization Programme was organized on International Women’s Day 8th March 2016 in Himachal Pradesh University auditorium